Friday 10 October 2014

He stole all hearts away. He stole my heart away.

The World discovered that Morrissey has cancer this week. Now I know it's not a dead cert (inappropriate pun, of course, intended) that he's gonna feel the soil falling over his head any time soon but I can't help but feel, in typical Morrissey style, very gloomy about this prognosis. I'd kind of always hoped Morrissey would live forever and this is a painful reminder that only vampires are immortal.

I've had the good fortune to see Morrissey live twice and they were the most emotive gigs I've ever been to. Like, I wept, for real. It's hard to pinpoint exactly why I love him so much, I'd like to say it's something to do with my own miserable upbringing but I didn't have it half bad as a kid! The first time I heard Morrissey's voice was when I was about 16, and he really did steal my heart away, keeping it locked in his impressive quiff ever since. He made me laugh, he made me cry. That was all it took.

From that moment on I indulged in standard fanatic behaviour - buying the back catalogue of CD's from The Smiths to his solo albums (OK haters, The Smiths also introduced me to Johnny Marr, but that's another story), seeking out posters, basically researching the shit out of him on dial-up internet. I even got "There is a light that never goes out" tattooed on my right shoulder when I was 18. My friends didn't really share the passion, not that it mattered. Then I went to University.  A wealth of indie discos and equally indie friends. We were dead cool obviously.

As the years have gone by I've drifted in and out of interest for other bands and musicians, and admittedly I've gone through phases of fighting Morrissey in the never-ending iPod shuffle war. I haven't even explored a lot of his new albums, although I'm impressed with his ability to stick to his ethical and artistic guns. But when all is said and done I'll never tire of him. We've come too far. My love for this handsome devil was reignited again late last year when he released his autobiography. This was a comprehensive chance to really get to know him. I laughed, I cringed. It cemented my opinion of him - that yes, he really is a prick.

So Moz, babes, please don't go. Everyday will be like Sunday. Every day will be silent and grey.

Feel better my love xx



No comments:

Post a Comment